Start with your general topic and break it down into categories.
Narrow down your topic using these questions:
- Problems faced? (Can lead to bullying, school violence, distorted body image)
- Problems overcome? (Can help people feel more connected to each. Helps friends and family stay in touch.)
- Motives (Whose motives? Users? Company founders?)
- Effects on a group? (How does this effect children, teenagers, and college students?)
- Who is affected? (Teachers, parents, students. Changes the way we learn and interact. Changes how parents raise their kids.)
- Group benefited? (Students can attend online classes. Families can keep in touch from far away.)
- Group responsible for/paid for _____ (Shareholders, company founders, consumers.)
From these questions, you can generate several research questions from your general topic, such as:
Does social media increase the risk of school violence among teenagers?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using social networks in education?
Does social media increase college-age women's body dysmorphia?
Does social media affect the obesity rates among elementary school aged children?